Monday, September 8, 2008

Strength Training Pictures

Below are pictures of many of your strength training exercises for the month. Thanks to my expert demonstrators, who graciously agreed to be models at the crack of dawn this morning in Central Park. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Also, I'm still getting emails w/questions about the program. If you have questions, please use the blog to ask them. Just click on "comments" for the most recent post, and ask your question. This enables the group to benefit from the answer, and it allows me to answer the same question only once on the blog. You can also use the blog to get to know each other if you wish--creating conversations about local races and any other info you wish to discuss.

Crunch: Come up just until you feel tension.
Opposite Elbow to Knee (repeat w/same elbow to knee)
Chin to Ceiling
Superman Pose

Plank: pull in belly button towards back (away from your belt), and keep your back flat.

Rotating Plank: Bring knee to outside of opposite elbow, keeping your back straight and abs engaged.
Lateral Squats Start Position
Lateral Squat Second Position. Return to center and repeat w/opposite leg for one repetition

Have a great training week!
Coach Cami

2 comments:

pilotchilly said...

Cami, Training has been going pretty good, but I think I'm starting to have a couple of issues. First, if the run is over about 40:00, its not an "easy" run...its about all I can do to just finish, especially this last long run of 50:00. I finished, but was unable to accomplish the 5x's on such a long run. Do you think I'll actually be able to get up to 13 miles by Dec? Also, at about 2.5-3 miles, my left foot starts falling asleep so that by about 4 miles, its completely numb. If I stop and walk, it wakes back up in just a couple of minutes. I've checked to make sure my shoes aren't tied too tight and I'm considering getting some new shoes anyways since mine are about a year old. Any other recommendations

Thanks! CHiLLy

Coach Cami said...

Chilly,
Thanks for the message. Here are a few notes:
1. You should definitely get new shoes--the rule of thumb is 500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Tell them about your foot when you go in, and let them get you on a treadmill to find the right shoes. I recommend Boulder Running Co. on Austin Bluffs in Co. Springs.
2. Starting this month, I'm going to put a range of times on the run based on the range of abilities in the group. I think you can get up to 13.1 by December, but you need to stay healthy until then. If you can't do the 5x:30 on the long run and just need to get through it, that is fine!
3. On the foot: when in doubt, I'd see a doc. Email me individually, and we can talk about what it might be/possible solutions.